I'd like to encourage CASLLers to propose a presentation for CATTW/ACPRTS.
If you're not currently a member, consider this an invitation!  The
deadline for proposals is November 30.

CALL FOR PAPERS

Canadian Association of Teachers of Technical Writing/Association
canadienne des professeurs de r=E9daction technique et scientifique

MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY, NFLD.

MAY 31 - JUNE 1, 1997

CATTW/ACPRTS invites proposals in French or English for 20-minute
research papers on topics reflecting the theme of the 1997 Conference:

PROFESSIONAL AND TECHNICAL LITERACIES

Much current research (Duin & Hansen, 1996; Horton, 1990) suggests that the
abilities needed by professional and technical communicators are changing
rapidly. In fact, most professional and technical workplaces now demand
high-level, specialized literacies.

As a recent report from Statistics Canada indicates, literacy rates related
to advanced or specialized literacies (level 5) are low in Canada and in
other industrialized nations (Literacy, Economy and Society: Results of the
=46irst International Adult Literacy Survey, 1995). This conference will
focus on our need to know more about the actual reading,writing, and
communication practices that constitute advanced literacies as they are
occurring in various
institutional and organizational contexts.

We welcome research proposals that focus on the linguistic, technological,
and social practices that constitute advanced literacies in the workplace.
We also welcome proposals for research papers on other topics related to
technical communication. All proposals for research papers should clearly
establish the research focus and context of the work.

In addition, we invite proposals for less formal sessions dealing with
classroom practices, institutional situations, or the professional practice
of technical communication. These sessions, although they need not be based
in formal scholarship, should reflect current research and should provide
opportunities for discussion. Proposals in this category could include
either roundtables or individual presentations.

Depending on the success of our applications for travel funding, we may be
able to offer a travel subsidy to those presenters of research papers who
are unable to obtain travel funds from their institutions.

Please send your proposal (250 words, accompanied by a 100-word abstract)
for a formal research presentation, or for an informal session on practical
concerns, to Catherine Schryer, CATTW/ACPRTS 97, by _30_ November 1996.
Address:  Department of English, University of Waterloo, Waterloo ON,
Canada N2L 3G1.  Phone: (519) 885-1211. Fax: (519) 746-5788.
E-mail: [log in to unmask] Submissions via e-mail are particular=
ly
encouraged.

Please note that you must be a member of CATTW to present a paper.  To join
CATTW, fill out and send a membership form, with a cheque for $25, to
Amanda Goldrick-Jones, CATTW/ ACPRTS, University of Winnipeg, 515 Portage
Ave., Winnipeg MB Canada, R3B 2E9.

This text is also available by request <<en fran=E7ais>>.  Please e-mail
Amanda Goldrick-Jones.

Amanda Goldrick-Jones . . . . . . University of Winnipeg
Secretary-Treasurer, Cdn. Assoc. of Teachers of Technical
Writing (CATTW/ACPRTS). . . . . . [log in to unmask]
Phone: 204-786-9453 . . . . . . . Fax #! 204-774-4134
http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~caw/amanda.htm