Ontarians and others --

This is a call to do your civic duty. Please respond as
individual CASLLrs to the Ontario Ministry of Education
"discussion documents" about secondary-school reform. No, I know
we can't expect Harris or Snobelen to listen to our ideas about
education--but the civil servants are asking for public opinions
about structure and curriculum for the "reformed" system. The
reduction from five years to four is definite, but the amount and
type of streaming are in question, and the function and type of
testing still have some flexibility. And the statements
about "comprehensive results" (a.k.a. outcomes) haven't been
formulated--an obvious chance to use our power with words.

There's an elaborate set of channels (including a touring
roadshow for educators) for getting and responding to the
published documents. For instance, there's a Web site with a
reply button:

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/new/new.html

        -- See especially the documents titled "Excellence..." and
        "Curriculum..."

It's dispiriting to read this stuff, I know, but I think we
should use the opportunity to state our views. It's not Snobelen
or Harris we're trying to get through to, but the people who will
formulate new practices and oversee curriculum-writing. We know they
NEED informed opinions, and I believe them when they say they
WANT them.

Margaret Procter