Is it really PD? (1 Nov 96)
Although response to Sinemet is not a 100% sure sign of PD, it's a
pretty good rule of thumb and should not be ignored. Despite dilig-
ent searching, a more positive indicator still eludes us. The best
definition of PD that I know is, shortage of dopamine in the basal
ganglia, hard to define and even harder to measure in a living
patient. No one is sure exactly why dumping in more dopamine via the
bloodstream works against PD, but it certainly does. There are
several mimics of PD such as MSA, PSP, SND, DLBD, OPCA, (and hydro-
cephalus, recently mentioned here) that may confuse diagnosis AT
FIRST, and some do respond (briefly) to dopamine replacement by
Sinemet. But the error should be evident soon to a neuro having the
right background in movement disorders, or in some cases immed-
iately. Maybe the relatively rare occurrence of the mimics is a
factor. I can't speak as an MD, but it seems to me that hydro-
cephalus, where prompt intervention is vital, shouldn't be that
hard to tell from PD. As for the other PD mimics, there isn't an
effective treatment anyway, and even if dopamine replacement is only
a temporary palliative, I should think it's better than nothing. So
the strategy, lacking better information, of trying dopamine first
may sometimes delay accurate diagnosis, but it should usually prove
to be a good bet.
Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694