-->>>>>>> Next Section <<<<<<<

I teach at a university and was dxed with PD 8 years ago. When my
meds are off I am essentially a zombie, but the first day of class I
purposely do not take any medication until just before class. I
spend about half of the first class talking about the course (Office
Automation and End User Computing) and the other half talking about
PD (no extra charge!)  The students can see what the symptoms are
and I stress those that may affect my teaching--such as a monotone
voice. (I tell the students that if I should put myself to sleep
please wake me up),

During the course of the semester, I use my PD as an example of some
of the things taught in the course. I use neurotransmitters as an
example of a communications system interface. When I am discussing
"gold standard" tests I point out that some are not practical such
as the lewy body test for PD (which can only be done as an autopsy).
My discussion on problem solving contains examples of how PWP adjust
to and compensate for their disabilities. I also stress the
importance of ergonomics in designing workstations, especially for
people with disabilities. These are just a few of the ways I use
myself as an example.

How long will I continure to teach? As long as my students can learn
from me. I have transparencies for all my lectures so I don't have
to write on the blackboard plus I use a lot of classroom discussion.
My department has assigned a grader to grade projects and exams for
me. I am seeing an occupational speach therapist to work on
maintaining an effective speaking voice.

Of course, your situation may be different than mine but I am sure
you could adapt some of my techniques.

Bruce
55/8
Sinemet CR & Pramipexole

* Experience is what enables us to recognize a mistake the next time
we make it *