Stan's experience was a terrible one, but one that everyone should read
carefully and heed.  Doctors don't always know or check on drug
interactions and side effects.  It is especially difficult with the large
number of meds taken with PD.  Sometimes your knowledge is important and
you must insist that the doctor listen.  I shared the story of my dad
having a pacemaker replaced.  He was given massive doses of Valium by the
anesthesiologist and cardiologist despite my mother arguing that he was
not to have it and a letter of caution that the neuro had sent to the
cardiologist.  The dose and subsequent ones were enough to keep him in a
coma for TWO MONTHS.  Our tax dollars paid for Medicare care for a doctor
induced coma!

Interestinly my dad was also scheduled for a scan that cannot be done on
someone with a pacemaker despite a huge note on the front of his chart
noting the PACEMAKER.  It was caught at the last minute.

I think the key is that the patient and personal caregiver, must look up
meds, ask questions, and take responsibility for his/her care.  With
managed care, it will continue to be difficult to received thorough
excellent care.  Beware of doctors who don't explain things and double
check what is going on.  I don't think the average family doctor or
internist is at all familiar with all aspects of PD.  I also highly
recommend finding a pharmacy with a pharmacist who is knowledgeable and
anxious to assist. They are full of info that even drs. aren't aware of
and have access to resources to assist you.

Stan, glad to hear you are better and thanks for sharing your story.
Where in TX do you live?  My dad with PD lives near Houston.

Gail Post
Honolulu