Joe,
Apologies for jumping in here, but I am curious.  Is this loss of smell due
to the common medications used by those with PD, inherent in the disease
process,  or what?  Since loss of smell seems to go hand in hand with taste,
have you noticed that also?  I reference the medications, since some have
that side effect.(not necessarily for PD)
Anosmia (loss of smell) has been discussed on another listserv I am on, and
someone mentioned that zinc deficiency is associated with this.  They also
mentioned the Monell Institute in Pennsylvania, or Dr. Alan Hirsch of the
Chicago Smell and Taste Treatment & Research Center, Chicago 312-938-1047.
Perhaps they know something in regards to the incidence of loss of smell in
the general public vs. those with Parkinson's.
Kathy
friend of John 75/2

At 08:36 PM 11/2/96 -0500, you wrote:
>A number of listmembers have recently mentioned loss or impairment of
>smell (me too). When I told my neuro he brushed it off as trivial. I
>worked on autos for many years, and noticed that gasoline fumes
>temporarily deaden tne sense of smell.
>The problem with any symptom for diagnosis is that it is subjective
>and not quantitative. Researchers would like to find an unambiguous
>positive marker that does not require judgement by the patient. It's
>most important for clinical trials where inclusion of subjects who
>don't really have PD can cause misleading results. Presently we don't
>even know if the various forms of PD are all the same disease, or not.
>Cheers,
>Joe
>

>J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
>3527 Cody Road
>Sherman Oaks CA 91403
>

>On Sat, 2 Nov 1996, Dick Swindler wrote:
>
>> I have been told that smell is an accurate diagnosis for PD.  In fact, the
>> administration of a smell test is some 80% accurate in predicting PD.  Also,
>> if you combine this test with one on hand-eye coordination it jumps the rate
>> up to 90%.  Has anybody heard of this .

Kathy McQuade-Sedler
Sedler's MOTHER EARTH HERBS
5272-A West Gold Ct.