In my case I had a significant loss of the sense of smell years before my PD
was diagnosed, so PD medicines could not be the reason.  I still can smell
some things, like strong perfume if I sniff the bottle - but I can't smell
it, if it's being worn by someone else.  I can smell really fragrant roses
but not lilacs.  Pine scented cleaning solutions come in loud and clear, even
at a distance.
I also have a loss of taste with some foods but not others.  Potatoes have
absolutely no taste.  Chicken and turkey taste like cardboard.  Some
vegetables have lost a lot of their flavor but fruits still taste good.  Has
anyone else noticed this selective loss of taste?
The worst part of losing my sense of smell is on days like Thanksgiving. I'll
be cooking turkey and everyone will come in commenting on how wonderful
everything smells but I can smell nothing at all. Bummer!  But at least the
gravy and pie tastes good and I can always get out the Pinesall.
Mary Sheehan