Bill - My husband (52/15) had Pallidal stimulation surgeries in late '95 and
early '96.  We were told that for reasons they couldn't explain, there were
often deficits following bilateral pallidotomies (I think in speech, vision,
and possibly mentation, but don't remember for sure).  They didn't expect the
same problems from bilateral pallidal stims.
And so far, if there are any deficits from the pallidal stims, they aren't
distinguishable from the normal progress of the disease.
     I understand that Canadian doctors have tried pallidotomy on one side
with pallidal stimulation on the other, with the goal of avoiding the
bilateral pallidotomy deficits.  Have you asked about this possibility?
 Margie Swindler