On Sun 03 Nov, Marty Rose wrote:
> I have been suffering with  severe depression lately.  Tears are always
> right at the overflowing point and no matter what I do I just can't seem
> to shake it off.  I have not been a depressed person until PD.   It was
> one of my early symptoms but only recently has it become so severe.  I
> am considering asking my neuro to put me on an anti depresant as I
> cannot handle this much longer.  I realize everyone is different, but I
> would appreciate any comments from anyone who has tried medication for
> depression.
>=20
> Marty Rose
>=20
>=20
Hello=A0Marty,  I was sorry to read that you are feeling so depressed. I think
almost all of us PWPs find that our emotions are very close to the surface.
I don't know whether it is because of the levodopa, or whether it goes=20
deeper, but I find a lump in my throat at the first sign of a bit of love,
or even kindness. - I suppose that to a degree it is no bad thing, but I
found myself sniffling at a dog food commercial the other day!!
   Now I know that what I have described is a long way from what you must
be feeling, and I wonder if it may have some physical cause which you can
change in some way. Let's consider the possibilities :
 =20
1) Your depression is caused by your medication.  When we last conversed,
you told me that you were taking  6  25/100 Sinemet and suffering quite a
lot with on/off and diskinesia symptoms - You didn't mention any other=20
meds ; are you taking anything else ?  It is impossible to be 100% right
with this stupid PD, but in my experience levodopa (or Sinemet) is unlikely
to cause depression.

2) You have clinical depression caused by PD. Well I suppose it is possible,
but I recall a presentation by a psychologist from the University of Leeds
by the wonderfully appropriate name of Professor Mindham. In a study of 250
PWPs, over a five year period, he concluded that there was no relatioship=20
between PD and clinical depression. To sum up, his final words were: "Of=20
course, some people with PD get depressed - they have every right to - PD
is a bl...y depressing illness, but it is not inevitable". I thought that=20
seemed to be quite a sensible way to look at it.

3) Your depression is caused by the difficulty which you are having in
regulating your meds. I can certainly see that as a possibility, and we can
do something about it. In the last email I sent to you, I suggested that you
read the information on my page at Ron Vetter's Web Site. Have you managed
to do that yet? Be assured that I will analyse any data that you can produce
and we may be able to beat this problem. - It's worth a go!!
I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards, Brian Collins
=20
--=20