Hello, list.

I subscribed to this list about a year ago, and found it very useful.
My father has Parkinsons, and I found several suggestions here that
helped a lot.

My Dad is 72, and has been diagnosed for 13 years.  Until a few weeks
ago, he was able to walk, climb stairs, dress and bathe himself; and in
general function well, though slowly at times.  He and my Mother were
able to travel.  He no longer drove (thank goodness!).  He had
occasional periods of confusion, and was unstable sometimes.  But in
general, for someone diagnosed for so long, he got along well.

Then, quite suddenly, over a period of about two weeks, he has declined
rapidly.  He is no longer is able to walk without assistance, he is
frequently confused, he cannot stand without dizziness or falling.  He
requires a visiting nurse each morning, and an aide during most of the
day. We are installing an elevator in the house.  He is constantly
"forgetting" that he shouldn't get up quickly, and consequently blacks
out and falls if my Mother can't get to him quickly enough.

In short, he has gone from a functioning, generally able man to someone
who does not even resemble the loving Father he once was.

His neurologist, Dr. Grindal in Sarasota, FL, says that this is more
than likely just a natural, yet rapid, progression of the disease.  He
says there is nothing he can do, short of suggesting restraining belts
for his chair.

My requests:

Is this rapid degeneration normal?  Could it be something else.  (He had
a clear brain CT scan).  Any similar experiences?

While Dr. Grindal has been adequate in his care, frankly I would like a
second opinion.  He is conservative, and frankly may not be willing to
try anything new.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a doctor in
the Sarasota, Tampa, or West Coast of Florida area.  Possibly someone
connected with a University or other leading edge facility.

Many thanks in advance.  My parent's lives have suddenly been turned
upside down, and I would do anything to make it better.

Jefferson Harkins