Marty Rose writes:

>I have been suffering with  severe depression lately.  Tears are always
>right at the overflowing point and no matter what I do I just can't seem
>to shake it off.  I have not been a depressed person until PD.   It was
>one of my early symptoms but only recently has it become so severe.  I
>am considering asking my neuro to put me on an anti depresant as I
>cannot handle this much longer.  I realize everyone is different, but I
>would appreciate any comments from anyone who has tried medication for
>depression.

Marty,

I am truly a cheerful person, even with PD, but there was a point a couple
of years ago that I finally realized that a deep depression had snuck up on
me. I headed for the health food store, which is my first solution for
everything from bad breath to bad luck...a clerk mentioned the amino acid
L-tyrosine almost as an occasionally successful solution. As I researched
L-tyrosine I discovered that PWP's are clinically low in supply, and it in
fact can help depression. So I bought some and within 2 days my depression
had lifted, never to return. One other gal in our Young onset group also
swears by it.

L-tyrosine is also part of the chemical process that results in dopamine in
our brain, so I have assumed that the shortage may works both sides of the
street. Anyway, it has no side effects (I use 500 mg/day) and is dirt cheap.
The biggest problem I have is finding it without B-6 in it, but in a jam I
even take it with the B-6.

Hope it can help you...

Kathie Tollifson