Dear Marty,

Depression was probably my first symptom of PD and it occurred suddenly-and
for no apparent reason- about eight years before I was diagnosed.
 Antidepressants helped a great deal.  When I was diagnosed with PD and
started on Eldepryl the depression disappeared within 2 days.  It was like a
light bulb went off in my head!  I quit taking the antidepressants and
remained fine for about 1 year, then noticed the depression gradually
returning.  My Dr. started me on them again, but as is often the case, I had
to try 2 or 3 brands before we found one that worked right for me.  I have
been on Effexor ( 75mg  twice a day ) for some time now and it works
fine....doesn't cause me the drowsiness others did.  Every once in a while I
will go through a day or two of depression, but I have learned it won't last.
 If it does, I call the Dr. and we make adjustments.
    The right antidepressant (combined with exercise, healthy eating, etc..)
can make a world of difference.  I would certainly give it a try.  Good luck.

(BTW,  my neurologist said his first clue that I might have PD was when he
noticed on my chart that I was taking an antidepressant.  He said that was
very common.)

---Rosemary Russell