In message <[log in to unmask]>, Barbara Mallut writes
>Sorry Dianne, I'm not a skeptic at all.  I don't BELIEVE in "universal
>cure-alls" any more than I do in "snake oil!"

>You're in BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY OFF THE CHRONICALLY ILL, and that's the ONLY
>reason you're pitching your products here.   You're hawking "universial
>cure-alls" here, because you're playing off the desparation of those who are
>so afraid and so sick.

>I've emailed the list owner to inform her that a "universal cure-all" and
>pyramid scheme salesperson is using her list to pitch for sales.  And, if this
>were my own system, you'd be out of here so fast your head would spin!

Hi Barbara

An interesting response to Dianne, and I can see the reason for it.
However, can I take you back a step or two? My question is
"Understanding that 1. there are snake-oil salesmen and 2. there is no
such thing as a free lunch, and 3. anyone in his/her right mind is
skeptical of claims for wonder drugs, just HOW, if you personally were
to find the answer to Parkinson's, would you get other PWPs to listen to
your words of wisdom?"

It's a problem which has taxed me, 'cos I'm cynical too. I USED to be a
distributor for a company called Nu Skin, which markets really super
quality skin- & hair-care products. One of it's divisions is called IDN,
selling nutritional supplements. My upline suggested I should get
involved with that part of the business, but I told him I didn't believe
in them, as I couldn't see how they could help simply by adding bits &
pieces to my (pretty healthy) diet.

I play squash (still, but poorly, now) once a week, and one of the
products he was trying to promote is called Overdrive, which supposedly
helps you do better at sports. My cynicism was showing, so he gave me
some and told me how they should be used. Well, I tried these capsules
for four out of five of my next five week's squash games. There is a
definite, but not huge, improvement in my game on the weeks I took the
stuff, and I was noticeably worse on the week I didn't.

I don't sell for this company any longer, but I do continue to use that
one product. I don't understand WHY it works, but it seems to. Now,
seeing that I was (apparently) wrong in my cynicism in this one area,
could I be wrong in others? I don't know - you go figure! I guess i'm
prepared to be open-minded about a lot of things. My cynicism tells me
to beware of charlatans, but I have no mechanism for recognising a true
saviour!

I guess I'll just bumble along, not accepting people's claims, but not
being quite so certain that they ARE just out for a quick buck. Maybe
you are a bit hard on Dianne?

--
Jeremy Browne

Turnpike evaluation. For information, see http://www.turnpike.com/