At 03:30 PM 11/3/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I had the procedure about 18 months ago on just one side with significant
>improvement (40, pd 10+years). I think I was the 4th person done in
>Vancouver,
>Canada. Doctors here are deadset against   doing the other side. I am
>anxious to hear from anyone who has had the operationin Vancouver. Also,
>anyone who has had it done first on one  side then at a later date, had
>or requested and was denied a second proceedure.
>Bill

Bill-

I had a pallidotomy done in March of this year done in Toronto and realized
only minimal success.  The doctors told me at the time of the first
assessment for the surgery that they would not conssider doing the second
side. Dr. Lang, the neurologist, said that his research had found that
intelligence was too often affected.  This does not seem to be the
experience of this group.  I see the surgeon (Dr. Lazano) today,  and I'll
ask him what his current feelings are.

Joan Holliday  63/20