Hi everybody.  My dad took the suggestion of taking L-tyrosine not too long
ago & he ended up on the second day with 30 minutes of dyskensia that he had
never experienced before.  He has not taken L-tyrosine again since then.

  He has had PD for about 3 years & is also having problems with depression.
However, it has gotton better since his doctor switched him from Sinemet to
Sinemet CR.  He is now getting off of Xanax & starting a mild
anti-depressent to curb the dopamine offset.  He has really enjoyed all of
the e-mail that I have forwarded on to him.  He was just diagnosed last
spring & has been devastated by it.  The good information & sharing on the
list has been so good for him.  He says it gives him hope.  He loves the
articles & people's good experience with Pallidotomy's, Thalomotomy's (??),
new medications that will not have side-effects, GDNF, etc.  He's not quite
ready to join the list though.  I think he's afraid he will get depressed.
He's just not ready.  Well, anyway I just wanted to share his experience
with L-tyrosine.

Debbie Bevel
The Woodlands, TX   (28 miles north of Houston)

Dad 66 yrs old, PD 3 yrs, Dx. 1 yr.

At 12:31 AM 11/4/96 -0500, Kathie Tollifson wrote:
>Marty Rose writes:
>

>>I have been suffering with  severe depression lately.  Tears are always
>>right at the overflowing point and no matter what I do I just can't seem
>>to shake it off.  I have not been a depressed person until PD.   It was
>>one of my early symptoms but only recently has it become so severe.  I
>>am considering asking my neuro to put me on an anti depresant as I
>>cannot handle this much longer.  I realize everyone is different, but I
>>would appreciate any comments from anyone who has tried medication for
>>depression.
>

>Marty,
>
>I am truly a cheerful person, even with PD, but there was a point a couple
>of years ago that I finally realized that a deep depression had snuck up on
>me. I headed for the health food store, which is my first solution for
>everything from bad breath to bad luck...a clerk mentioned the amino acid
>L-tyrosine almost as an occasionally successful solution. As I researched
>L-tyrosine I discovered that PWP's are clinically low in supply, and it in
>fact can help depression. So I bought some and within 2 days my depression
>had lifted, never to return. One other gal in our Young onset group also
>swears by it.
>
>L-tyrosine is also part of the chemical process that results in dopamine in
>our brain, so I have assumed that the shortage may works both sides of the
>street. Anyway, it has no side effects (I use 500 mg/day) and is dirt cheap.
>The biggest problem I have is finding it without B-6 in it, but in a jam I
>even take it with the B-6.
>
>Hope it can help you...
>
>Kathie Tollifson

Debbie Bevel