From:   PARKINSN: Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network on behalf
of Derek G. Pocock
Sent:   Monday, November 04, 1996 4:27 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: Depression

>Sorry Dianne, I'm not a skeptic at all.  I don't BELIEVE in "universal
>cure-alls" any more than I do in "snake oil!"  I worked in the online
industry
>for over  7 years.  I had people like you logging onto the Medical BBSes I
ran
>all the
>time, giving almost word-for-word duplicate sales pitches as you're
>making....."Just because, out of the goodness of their hearts,
<PUL-eeeeeeze!>
>they happen to have 'personally' found a product that helps them, or an
>alleged relative or friend."   Being in the position I am in on The Micorsoft
>Network, I see still MORE of these hucksters every day!   AND I've seen every
>imaginable type of pyramid scheme that's come down the pike during this time.
>
>I've heard ALL tfhe excuses that a "universal cure-all" salesperson could
ever
>dream up to use to sell their products and their pyramid schemes to those who
>suffer from the many terrible diseases out there such as WE here on the
>Parkinson's List are forced to endure.
>
>You're in BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY OFF THE CHRONICALLY ILL, and that's the ONLY
>reason you're pitching your products here.   You're hawking "universial
>cure-alls" here, because you're playing off the desparation of those who are
>so afraid and so sick.
>
>I've emailed the list owner to inform her that a "universal cure-all" and
>pyramid scheme salesperson is using her list to pitch for sales.  And, if
this
>were my own system, you'd be out of here so fast your head would spin!
>
>Barbara K. Mallut

Well done Barbara, perhaps a little over the top, but you said what needed
to be said. I never ceased to be amazed though at the gullibilty of some
people who fall for these pitches. If these things worked, the medical
profession would use them, they don't and for good reason.My wife has PD and
I have a renal transplant and long ago discovered that we have to learn to
trust our physicians, but bear in mind that they are human too, so it is
also up to us to be well informed about our particular health problems and
this list helps to do that. Keep up the good work.
Derek Pocock