Joco Paulo Penna de Carvalho wrote:
> <<        6. Tums--Yes. That was the recommendation of the Movement Dis=
orders
>  Clinic at OHSU Dr. John Nutt. A nurse friend remarked that it is in th=
>  literature and she had totally forgotten about it, evidently a common =
bit of
>  information that everyone has forgotten.
>  =20
> Could you kindly explain the meaning of  * Tums *    ?   I did not find=
 in
> the dictionary.

Dear Joco,
I hope that PDIE will soon have available a list of drugs containing
descriptive information--this list is in process now. In the meantime,
here is the information found for Tums:
---

CALCIUM CARBONATE (Titralac=AE, Tums=AE) is an antacid that neutralizes o=
reduces stomach acids. It relieves symptoms in patients with indigestion
and heartburn. Calcium carbonate also can be used to prevent stomach
bleeding in hospitalized patients or as a dietary calcium supplement.
Generic calcium carbonate tablets are available.

What should my doctor, dentist, or pharmacist know before I take calcium
carbonate?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
=95appendicitis
=95constipation
=95dehydration
=95hemorrhoids
=95high blood calcium levels
=95kidney disease
=95stomach bleeding or obstruction

How should I take this medicine?
Take calcium carbonate tablets by mouth. Follow the directions on the
prescription label. Chew well, or crush the tablets before swallowing;
follow with a drink of water. Antacids are usually taken after meals and
at bedtime. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your
medicine more often than directed.

Special precautions for use in children: Only give to children on advice
from your doctor.

What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for
your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.

What other medicines can interact with calcium carbonate?
=95ammonium chloride
=95antibiotics
=95aspirin and aspirin-like drugs
=95bisacodyl
=95ketoconazole
=95methenamine
=95quinidine
=95sucralfate

Tell your doctor or pharmacist: about all other medicines you are
taking, including non-prescription medicines; if you are a frequent user
of drinks with caffeine or alcohol; if you smoke; or if you use illegal
drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check before
stopping or starting any of your medicines.

What side effects may I notice from taking calcium carbonate?
Serious side effects with calcium carbonate are rare and are more likely
in patients over 60 years old or patients with severe kidney problems.
They include:
=95changes in mental status
=95drowsiness or dizziness
=95loss of appetite
=95headache
=95nausea, vomiting
=95weakness
Call your doctor as soon as you can if you get any of these side
effects.

Minor side effects with calcium carbonate include:
=95constipation
=95stomach gas, flatulence or belching
Let your doctor know about these side effects if they do not go away or
if they annoy you.

What do I need to watch for while I take calcium carbonate?
Check with your doctor if calcium carbonate does not relieve your
stomach pains; if you get black tarry stools; notice any rectal
bleeding; or feel unusually tired. Do not change to another antacid
product without advice.

Do not treat yourself for stomach problems with calcium carbonate for
more than two weeks without consulting your doctor. A condition known as
acid rebound can develop after the initial relief produced by calcium
carbonate. Long-term use can make chronic stomach problems worse and is
not recommended.

If you are taking other medications, leave an interval of at least 2
hours before or after dosing with calcium carbonate.

Drink several glasses of water a day. This will help to reduce possible
constipation.

Where can I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children in a container that small children
cannot open.

Store at room temperature between 15 and 30=B0C (59 and 86=B0F). Throw aw=
ay
any unused medicine after the expiration date.

--=20
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,
"Spotlight on Food--nutrition news for people 60-plus"
Tel: 970-493-6532   Fax: 970-493-6538=20
http://www.fortnet.org/~fivstar
You may wish to contact:
Better Business Bureau of the Mountain States,
for further information.