On Thu 07 Nov, Herb Tichman wrote:
> Does anyone have any information about "Madopar Dispersible?"  Its
> effectiveness, availability in the US.  Thanks.
>=20
Hello Herb,  I can give you a part of the information that you request. I
live in the UK, where Madopar is as common as Sinemet, and is used in exactly
the same way as Sinemet.  Madopar is made in the UK by Roche Products . I
am afraid that I do not know if it is available in the USA.

Madopar contains levodopa as does Sinemet but instead of Carbidopa it is
mixed with a chemical called Benserazide. I have experimented with both
Sinemet and Madopar and find them completely interchangeable.

Madopar Dispersible tablets are the same as the regular Madopar, but can
be 'dispersed' in water (I think they don't quite dissolve, but it is near
enough).  To improve the taste some citric acid is added also. These tablets
come as Madopar Dispersible 125 and 62.5 -the nomeclature is the same as=20
Sinemet : 100 mg of levodopa 25 mg of Benserazide, or 50 mg/ 12.5 mg.

The 62.5 Dispersible tablets form my staple diet at the moment. I use them
to give me the effect of controlled release, but at a reduced release rate.
My requirements after 15 years of taking levodopa are for 37.5 mg/hour:
47mg/hr is too much, and 27 mg/hr is=A0too little. I get just the right effect
by taking one and a half Madopar 62.5 Dispersible every 2 hours. When you=20
take that many tablets, a drink of anything to help the tablet down is not=20
always available. I find that the Dispersible tablets can be sucked like=20
candy, and I quite enjoy it. (Which is just as well, because I take 24 of=20
the little *~#=A3!!$ every day!

The table below may be useful: As you will see, not all the alternatives are
covered:
  |Sinemet     | Contents(levodopa)| Carbidopa/Benserazide|    Madopar     |
  |Name(In UK) |      milligrams   |     milligrams       |  Name (In UK)  |
  |____________|___________________|______________________|________________|   =20
  |     LS     |          50       |         12.5         |     62.5       |
  |____________|___________________|______________________|________________|
  |    110     |         100       |         10           |    N/A         |
  |____________|___________________|______________________|________________|
  |    Plus    |         100       |         25           |    125         |
  |____________|___________________|______________________|________________|
  |    275     |         250       |        25            |     N/A        |=20
  |____________|___________________|______________________|________________|   =20
  |    CR250   |         200       |         50           |     N/A        |
  |____________|___________________|______________________|________________|
  |    CR125   |         100       |         25           |     CR         |
  |____________|___________________|______________________|________________|
  |    N/A     |         250       |         50           |     250        |
  |____________|___________________|______________________|________________|
  |    N/A     |         100       |         25           |Dispersible 125 |
  |____________|___________________|______________________|________________|
  |    N/A     |          50       |         12.5         |Dispersible 62.5|=20
 =20
  Note: CR =3D Controlled Release     N/A =3D Not Available
 =20
  Regards,  Brian Collins
        =20

            =20