On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Dale Severance join list <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Hi everyone my name is Dale Severance  and I've been diagonised as afflicted
>with PD four years ago although in retrospect I  have had systoms of PD for
>eight years now.
>
>I am an attorney with an office in Brooklyn, N.Y. and my work hours are down
>to about 12 hours a week from 70 hrs prion to my onset with PD>
>
>In the wee hours of the morning I have been struggling to think of a way to
>help our community while I still have some energy left.
>
>My thoughts are as follows:
>
>1. We should  help ourselves as much as possible without waiting for passage
>of the Morris Udall bill.
>
>2.  We should develope a grass roots fund raiser among PWPD and their friends
>and Care Givers.
>
>3. There are estimated 1,500,000 people  with PD. and an annual contribution
>of $100 from half this number would generate $75 million for PD research
>
>4.How do we tap this poll of resources? Do people just have to be asked and
>given an easy reminder to send a check?
>
>5. Lets start with those enrolled on this listserver.  Lets ask people to
>write a small check every month when they pay their on line telephone
> provider. The sum of the monthly checks might be greater than an annual
>check given at the end of the year.
>
>6. Each donor would select his or her favorite PD research institution to be
>the beneficary of their contributions.
>
>7. All contributions (check s only) would be mailed to a central location to
>tabulated the results and then forward the checks on to the respective
>payees.
>
>8.The results of  the giving would be reported on this listserver monthly or
>more frequently if possible. Thus we could demonstrate to our elected
>officals the seriousness of our determination.
>
>9.At no time must anybody  be made to feel they have to contribute to join or
>stay on this listserve. This was Barbara Patterson's requirement to obtain
>her permission to float this ideas on the listserver.
>
>10. My law firm will match  up to $ 25.00 per donation for an agregrate total
>of $ 500.00 to prime the pump to start the ball rolling.
>
>11. I have lots of other ideas to fund raise if and when we decide to adopt
>these suggestions.
>
>12. I would appreciate feed back on the list server so that all become aware
>of this proprosal. I would also be happy to respond to email inquires or
>phone you if you send me your telephone number.
>
>13. II am going into a downer so thats all for now.
>

>Dale Severance

Dale,

    I was kinda lurking in the background to see what other List members thought
of what I think is a great idea.  Why wait forever to see what "Big Brother"
won't do to help us when we should be doing it ourselves.  I fully agree that it
should not be a requirement but a voluntary contribution.  A $100 per year isn't
going to break me but your idea of $10.00 per month has merit.  My sprynet
charge is automatically placed on my credit card each month.  I don't know the
mechanics of this but it would be acceptable to me.  That way the research
facility of choice would get it automatically without us having to remember to
send it without receiving an invoice every month (you know how some of us PWP
have memory problems.  Did I just take my Sinemet or didn't I and that's within
minutes, not weeks)
My one thought would be is it better to spread the funds through numerous
organizations or would we get "More Bang for Our Buck" by concentrating on one
or two thought to be the most promising???
If you can come up with a workable program, count me in.
Albert (Joe) Young Jr.