>-- [ From: Schafer, Richard * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>
>Thanx for any insight into the following.
>
>Patient has been diagnosed with PD for several years, progressively getting
>worse in terms of symptoms over that period.
>
>Recent deterioration has led to the Dr. requesting additional tests,
>including a new CT scan making reference to (I think) "hydro-encephalitis"
>which I think means water (fluid) on the brain. The Dr. left us fairly
>confused.
>
>The questions around this are:
>
>Why a CT Scan at this stage?
>
>Is encephalitis a part of the progression of the PD, or is is the Dr.
>looking for an additional non-related condition, or what?

Richard, having had an operation for hydrocephalus in Aug. of this year, I
speak from experience as follows:

1. Hydrocephalus occures when cerebral spinal spinal fluid (CSF) stops
circulating in the brain due to blockage in one of the channels which carry
the fluid.  The symptoms mimic those of PD exactly. An operation putting a
permanent shunt in the head  to releave the pressure is the usual treatment,
and is almost always successsful in eliminating all symptoms.

2. One of the reasons for a CT or even better, an MRI, is to rule out either
a tumor or hydrocephalus.

Any questions, contact me at the above e-mail.
                                                   Peace, John