I found the following at:

http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/cf4e.htm.

Jackie

Genetic Defect May Point to Heredity as a Source of Parkinson's Disease

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va., Oct. 11, 1996 -- A specific genetic defect that may
cause Parkinson's disease has been identified by scientists at the
University of Virginia and MitoKor, a California-based biopharmaceutical
company, according to a study published in the October issue of the Annals
of Neurology.

"There is a piece of DNA that doesn't play by the rules," said W. Davis
Parker, professor of neurology at U.Va. and leader of the research team.
"The genes contained on mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) exist independent of
nuclear DNA. In other words, this is a new principle of human genetics that
may explain why some diseases currently thought of as sporadic, like
Parkinson's, may in fact be inherited in an unorthodox way."

The scientists found that the genetic defect affects a mitochondrial enzyme
called complex I. Although scientists have suspected for the past seven
years that the complex I defect is a key factor in the onset of
Parkinson's, they did not know the origin of the defect. The U.Va/MitoKor
team found that the complex I defect arises from mitochondrial DNA and
interferes with the function of mitochondria -- thousands of thread-like
bodies in each cell which contain enzymes for the production of energy.

"Complex I, which is abnormal in Parkinson's patients, is a bioenergetic
enzyme that serves as the principal starting point of the electron
transport chain, the energy generating mechanism found in the mitochondria
of each cell," said Robert E. Davis, chief executive officer of MitoKor and
a co-author of the study. "We believed that a mitochondrial rather than a
nuclear genetic mechanism was at work in Parkinson's."

To test the theory, the researchers developed proprietary cybrid
(cytoplasmic hybrid) cell lines to model the mitochondrial DNA of
Parkinson's patients. First, human neuroblastoma cells -- embryonic cells
derived from the neural tube that give rise to neurons -- were depleted of
all their mtDNA. Mitochondrial DNA from 24 Parkinson's patients was then
transferred into those cells, the resulting cell lines were cultured.
Cybrid cell lines possessing mtDNA from 28 non-Parkinson's patients were
used as the normal controls.

The scientists then performed a series of biochemical assays on the cybrid
cell lines, measuring cytochrome oxidase activity and complex I activity,
the key elements within the mitochondrial electron transport mechanism.
They also analyzed for the production of oxygen radicals and the effects of
a parkinsonism-inducing toxin called MPTP, a contaminant of an illegally
prepared heroin-like narcotic.

Complex I activity was 20 percent lower in the Parkinson's disease (PD)
cybrids as compared to the controls.

Additional research demonstrated that the genetically encoded complex I
defect of Parkinson's disease serves as a source of oxygen radical
generation. Oxygen radicals are widely believed to play a role in the death
of neurons in neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and
amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease).

Also, cells containing Parkinson mtDNA were more susceptible to an MPTP
derivative.

This indicates that even though the enzyme defect is genetic, environmental
toxins could still contribute to the disease's development.

"While the genetically determined complex I defect in Parkinson's disease
may itself be sufficient to produce the disease, our research does not rule
out the importance of external toxins in the disease process," said Dr.
Russell Swerdlow, U.Va. neurologist and lead author of the study.

"The observation that a specific biochemical defect can render cells more
vulnerable to MPTP toxicity illustrates how interactions between an
environmental mitochondrial toxin and an apparent mtDNA defect could
accelerate neurodegeneration. This may explain why some individuals develop
Parkinson's disease following toxin exposure, while others similarly
subjected to the same toxin at the same dose do not."

The U.Va./MitoKor team's next step will be to characterize the exact mtDNA
mutations that may lead to Parkinson's disease. "We are conducting further
mutational analysis of the mtDNA of Parkinson's disease patients," Davis
said. "Once the defect or defects are known, we'll be working to develop a
therapeutic agent that reverses the complex I defect."

MitoKor, a development-stage biopharmaceutical company in San Diego,
Calif., is the only company in the United States whose sole focus is the
role of mitochondria in human disease. Their proprietary technology is
leading the way in the commercialization of pharmaceutical and diagnostic
products targeted to treat Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, diabetes mellitus
(NIDDM) and schizophrenia. MitoKor was formed in 1992 under the name
Applied Genetics.