Janice,
My mother-in-law has Parkinsons and she is 71 years old.  However, we are so
close with them that my children, her grandchildren, have definitely been
affected.  I have a 7 year old boy and a 2 year old boy.
My 7 year old Matthew prays every night for something to help his Grandma
Dorothy.  He can remember what she was like just a few years ago ans see the
changges.  We have had several talks about this PD that is hurting his
Grandma.  It has saddened him, but not hurt him as a person at all.  He is
very aware that his Grandma needs extra help and that when he is with her
that he needs to help her out by picking things up and getting things for
her.  I have found that the affects from PD such as the shaking and tears
are much less when she is with the grandchildren.  I often leave them with
her, and it does them all good.
You might be surprised at how much a toddler knows (tho I doubt it after 4
kids :).)
But my 2 year old Devon is very aware that he has to "help" Grandma.  For
example when her husband helps her to her feet he holds out his hand and
tries also.  He knows that he can be a little rough and charge Grandma Nita
(my Mom), but that it he has to be gentle with Grandma Dorothy.
We are close enough to Mickey's parents that when we moved to Las Vegas we
moved as a group and when we moved to Billings Montana we moved as a group
also.  If we move again they will come with us.  (it isn't us so much as the
grandchildren).
I know that you were looking more for a younger family with a parent with PD
that had younger chldren - I just wanted you to know I had read your letter
correctly.  But I thought you might like to hear how my children are coping
with it.  I am sure that it would be even hsrder if it was me or Mickey that
had PD rather than the grandmother, but they are very close to their
grandma.  Just thought that I would add my 2 bits.
Laurie