Hi

I have subscribed to this list, as my mother was diagnosed with
Parkinson's Disease 2 1/2 years ago.  My family had noticed the symptoms a
couple of years before, but due to denial on her part, it wasn't
officially diagnosed earlier.  She refused to tell anybody for about
another year after that, although it was obvious something was wrong.
Unfortunately I left the country (New Zealand) to live in the US just
after her first symptoms appeared.  When I came back to visit 18 months
later, the disease had progressed a lot.  It has now been 2 years since I
have been back to visit, and my husband and I are going back for a few
weeks in January/February 1997.  There are now a lot of issues to deal
with - mainly that she is very confused about everything now (I don't know
if this is due to drug therapy or the disease itself).  She also is having
a lot of problems with her gait, and is falling a lot.  Again denial is
the main problem - we are trying to get my parents (my father is also very
disabled post-stroke) to move to a retirement village, where there will be
some degree of supervision, but my mother is "not ready", but thinks it is
a good idea on some days.

When I go back I would like to be of some help to the rest of my family,
and I would also like to be prepared socially for what to expect, and how
to deal with some of these issues.  I am a Medical Librarian, so have all
the disease facts, but none of the social aspects.  How do we get around
the "I am not an invalid" statements?  We also have issues with her
continuing to drive, forgetting to grocery shop etc.  I do have a sister
who lives close to them, and another several hours away, so I am not the
only one dealing with this.

I have never joined a listserv on a personal basis before, so this is a
bit of an experiment.

Looking forward to participating.

Jane Thomsen
Medical Librarian/CME Coordinator, Carson-Tahoe Hospital
775 Fleischmann Way, PO Box 2168
Carson City, Nevada 89702-2168
Ph:(702)885-4358    Fax:(702)883-5063
Email: [log in to unmask]