Raising our own funds for PD research does sound like a good idea. It
deserves looking into.

It seems to me, however, that before we would consider which foundation or
organization, etc. to provide with funds for research, we must first
determine which of many avenues of research we wish to pursue. It would be
extremely wasteful to scatter our resources too thinly. Medical
research is very costly. Research currently underway is involved with
several branches of genetics, with several approaches to brain surgery, with
a number of biochemical aspects, and the list goes on. Universities and
private labs all over the world are working on different aspects of the
problem. Each kind of research has its own special requirements for
facilities, equipment, and staff expertese. If we could agree on a single
research avenue to fund it would be relatively easy to select the site to
carry it out.

There is also the problem of administering such an ambitious program. Not
only the handling of funds, but the oversight of how those funds are being
used in the pursuit of solutions to the problem of PD would have to be
considered.

Martha