Paul & Kathy Sedler wrote:
> John called this morning with a question he would like to pose to the g=
roup.
>He is
> taking Sinemet CR 50/200 1 tab three times a day and Permax 0.25mg thre=
> tabs at each meal three times a day.  He saw a cardiologist regarding h=
is
> elevated blood pressure who prescribed Triamterene/HCTZ (Formaxide) 1/2=
 tab
> every day.  He tried it once and it made him feel "real funny and wierd=
" so
> he stopped it right away.  Are any of you aware of any reason for this
> interaction? =20

Triamterene:
What do triamterene capsules do?
TRIAMTERENE (Dyrenium=AE) is a diuretic(water or fluid pill). Diuretics
increase the amount of urine passed, which causes the body to lose water
and salt. Triamterene is used to treat water retention and swelling
caused by conditions such as heart, kidney, and liver disease.
Triamterene can be combined with hydrochlorothiazide to treat high blood
pressure. Triamterene does not cause your body to lose potassium the way
that many diuretics do. Generic triamterene capsules are not yet
available.

What should my doctor, dentist, or pharmacist know before I take
triamterene?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
=95diabetes
=95gout
=95hearing problems
=95high blood levels of potassium
=95kidney disease or kidney stones
=95liver disease
=95low blood levels of sodium
=95small amount of urine, or difficulty passing urine
=95an unusual or allergic reaction to triamterene, other diuretics,
medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
=95pregnant or trying to get pregnant
=95breast-feeding

How should I take this medicine?
Take triamterene capsules by mouth. Follow the directions on the
prescription label. Swallow the capsules with a drink of water. If
triamterene upsets your stomach, take it with food or milk. Take your
doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than
directed.

Special precautions for use in children: This medicine is not for
children.

What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for
your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.

What other medicines can interact with triamterene?
=95amantadine
=95antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen)
=95cyclosporine
=95heparin
=95lithium
=95medicines for diabetes that are taken by mouth
=95medicines for high blood pressure
=95potassium salts
=95water pills

Tell your doctor or pharmacist: about all other medicines you are
taking, including non-prescription medicines; if you are a frequent user
of drinks with caffeine or alcohol; if you smoke; or if you use illegal
drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check before
stopping or starting any of your medicines.

What side effects may I notice from taking triamterene?
Serious side effects with triamterene include:
=95black, tarry stools
=95blood in urine
=95bright red tongue, burning feeling in tongue, dry mouth, cracked
corners of mouth
=95confusion, nervousness
=95cough, hoarseness
=95fever, chills
=95irregular heartbeat, palpitations
=95lower back or side pain
=95muscle pain or cramps
=95numbness or tingling in hands, feet, or lips
=95pain or difficulty passing urine, reduced amount of urine passed
=95skin rash, itching
=95unusual bleeding or bruising, pinpoint red spots on the skin
=95unusual tiredness or weakness
=95yellowing of the eyes or skin
Call your doctor as soon as you can if you get any of these side
effects.

Minor side effects with triamterene include:
=95diarrhea
=95dizziness
=95headache
=95increased sensitivity to the sun
=95nausea, vomiting
Let your doctor know about these side effects if they do not go away or
if they annoy you.

What do I need to watch for while I take triamterene?
Visit your doctor for regular checks on your progress. Check your blood
pressure regularly. Ask your doctor what your blood pressure should be,
and when you should contact him or her. You must not get dehydrated, ask
your doctor how much fluid you need to drink a day.

Watch your diet while you are taking triamterene. Ask your doctor about
both potassium and sodium intake. Too much potassium can be very
harmful. Elderly patients, the severely ill, diabetics, or patients with
kidney problems are more likely to suffer from the effects of too much
potassium. Avoid salt-substitutes, unless your doctor tells you
otherwise. You may need to avoid foods that are high in potassium, such
as bananas, coconuts, dates, figs, prunes, apricots, peaches, grapefruit
juice, tomato juice, and orange juice.

Check with your doctor if you get severe nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.
You must not get dehydrated, ask your doctor how much fluid you need to
drink a day. Triamterene will increase the amount of urine you pass. Do
not stop taking triamterene except on your doctor's advice.

If you are diabetic, triamterene may increase your blood sugar levels.
Check with your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetic
medicine.

Triamterene may make your skin more sensitive to sun or ultraviolet
light. Keep out of the sun, or wear protective clothing and use a
sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or sun tanning beds or booths.

If you are going to have surgery, tell your doctor or dentist that you
are taking triamterene.

Where can I keep my medicine?
Keep out of the reach of children in a container that small children
cannot open.

Store at room temperature between 15 and 30=B0C (59 and 86=B0F). Protect
from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
--=20
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,
"Spotlight on Food--nutrition news for people 60-plus"
Tel: 970-493-6532   Fax: 970-493-6538=20
http://www.fortnet.org/~fivstar
You may wish to contact:
Better Business Bureau of the Mountain States,
for further information.