Hello -  I'm very grateful for the opportunity to be a new member of  a well
organized
and intelligent group of fellow PDers.  My name is Terrie Whitling and I am
42 years
old female with PD for the past 15 years.  I joined the list about a month
ago and have
mainly been sitting back listening and learning, to get my feet wet.  Thanks
for allowing
me that luxury!
          I am a medical social worker  who was forced into early retirement
in 1992 due
to the unpredictability of my rapidly decreasing functional level. For an old
cheerleader
sitting on the sidelines was  hard to take!  I have been very blessed to be
in the right
place at the right time - I was the  17th patient (and the youngest at the
time) to under-
go a Pallidotomy at Emory University in Atlanta, Ga.  Due to the remarkable
restoration of my functional level ( back to being very well controlled with
medication )
I convinced Emory's Neurology Dept. to hire me as their Patient Advocate for
their PD
and Pallidotomy Programs.  I have the pleasure of participating in the
operating room
during Pallidotomy procedures as well as traveling around the country
visiting and
speaking to PD support groups, educating the  public and lobbying in
Washington
for adequate funding.  It has truly been a wonderful 3 years for me since my
surgery!
     I am one of the "Washington Warriors", working with PAN, NPF and APDA to
get the Udall Bill passed.  I spent a week in D.C. this past May, June, July
and Sept.
working and will return there again just as soon as we've formulated the
strategy for
1997.
    Because I live in Georgia, I unofficially coordinate activity for the
southern states.
Please, I need your help.We need advocates in all 50 states  but in the
south, we
particularly need help in Arkansas, North Carolina, Louisiana, Florida and
Mississippi!
If you are willing to donate time, money and/or energy, please let me know!!

    I am available by e-mail or phone to answer questions, offer advice or
just to
listen to anyone who's life is inpacted by PD.

    I can be contacted by :
    voice-mail at Emory 404-727-2627

    or    Emory University, Dept. of Neurology
           P.O. Drawer V , WMB Suite 6000
           Atlanta, GA. 30322

Thanks!!!  Terrie Whitling

P.S.  Happy birthday, congratulations and thank-you, Barbara!!!