Cindy - Regarding your mom's symptom of being rigid and drawing up on her
left side, that sounds like Sinemet-induced dystonia.  It's a less common
side-effect than dyskinesia, but can be very painful.  My husband was never
able to tolerate the amount of Sinemet that others seemed to be able to take
because of severe dystonia, and had the symptoms you seem to be describing.
 Was your mom better on the smaller (1/2) doses?  I would definitely ask your
neurologist if you can reduce the dose until she finds a comfortable level,
whatever that is.
     Another common symptom of dystonia is the feet turning in, and sometimes
the hands (bending at the wrist).  Does your mom have this?  If so, that's
definitely dystonia.  Everyone differs in the amount of Sinemet they can
tolerate without severe side effects.
Good luck to your mom.  I hope your neurologist will work with you to find a
level of medication she can tolerate.  Margie Swindler