A gigantic health survey called EPIC studying the dietry habits, nutrition,
exposure to toxins, hereditary and environmentle factors, life style etc of
more than 250000 people in EEC counties is under way.Although the survey is
cancer orientated(EPIC stands for 'The European Prospective Investigation of
Cancer and Nutrition')there are many  other interested bodies such as the
British Heart Foundation which are involved in the funding.

In the UK the test area for the survey is the County of  Norfolk where I
happen to live and a few weeks ago I was sent a very detailed questioneer
which I was  invited to complete which I did conscientiously even though it
took me nearly an hour  and there was no prize draw for a pacemaker, wheel
chair, dentures or hearing aid,  let alone a weeks holiday for two in the
Parkinson village.Having in the past read quite a lot on this list
concerning the causes of Parkinsons, it became obvious to me that a lot of
the questions I had answered were exactly those which would be put by a
researcher studying the causes of Parkinsons and particularly  those
relating to exposure to environmental toxins.I  wondered whether the
findings of the survey would be availalble for Parkinson researchers

The survey in England is being run  by a group at Cambridge University  and
so I decided to ring the Research Co-ordinator  and posed this question to
her.She was extremely positive and helpful.No- Parkinsons had not been given
any special consideredation
in the survey but what a good idea and I was very gratified to be informed
about a follow up questioneer which was in the process of being designed and
that following my instigation some appropriate questions solely relating to
Parkinsons would be included.These are;

Have you ever been diagnosed as having Parkinsons disease?
In NO have you ever noticed tremor or shakiness in your hands?
If Yes is it present at rest?
Have you had any difficulty in starting to walk or get out of a chair?
If yes is this due to joint problems such as arthritis?
Has your walking become slower?
Has your hand writing changed in the past few years?
If yes has it got smaller?

Within the limits of a not too complicated questioneer these questions are
inevitably a little simplistic but would help to identify pre-diagnosis
people.But again thanks to this list I was also aware that loss of sense of
smell was in many cases an indicator and of particular interest as it often
occurs many years   before other syptoms appear.( I lost my own sense of
smell about eight years before other sypmtoms occured.)Kathie Tollifsom
recently posted a messager on this subject saying that loss of sense of
smell is  so common in early PD that it is component of Dr Erwin
Montgomery's   " early detection" screening at U 0f A hospital.I therefore1
suggested to the Research Co-ordinator that it might be of interest to
include a question on loss of sense of smell.Is anybody aware of any
research literature on this subject?

Any investigation and analysis of the results from the PD aspect would need
additional funding.Possibly some of the national Parkinson Institutions
might be interested in helping in this direction and immediately the UK
Parkinson Disease Society springs to mind.But it does seem to me that the
opportunity to participate in a large health survey of this kind to further
investigate causes for PD is one not to be missed.

'Praestat cautela quam medela'.

David Langridge.