Lyme Disease, named for the town in New England where it was identified,
is caused by a spirochete that is carried by a species of mouse. The
mice have ticks which attack deer and are brought to neighborhoods
where they can bite people. Dogs also may carry the disease-bearing ticks.
The initial infection is therefore by a tick bite. Treatment is by
antibiotics, but symptoms are severe and recovery is slow.
This information is part of a 3-page article in the Merck Manual, an
excellent general reference that I urge you to get if you can find
it in your country.
Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694