At 07:12 AM 11/8/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings to all
>
>A friend of my wife has told her that people with certain diseases such
>as MS and PD etc. need more vitamins than normal. I have my doubts about
>needing "mega-doses", but am curious about the effects of too much of a
>"good" thing.
>
>1. Is there a point where you can take too many and they become toxic?

        Someone please jump in and correct me if I am wrong, but I remember
that vitamins A,D, E and K are stored by the body and can build up to
dangerously high levels.  Vitamin C has been taken in mega-doses, and the
body will usually flush out the extra.
>2. Can they cause your energy level to drop?

        Antioxidants certainly can if taken in too large of doses.  This is
referencing an article written by Jack Challem in Natural Health Magazine
and quoting Dr. Denham Harman - who is the "father" of the free radical
theory of aging and conceived the theory back in 1954.

>3. How much is too much?

        Advice to me has generally been to start off with RDA (which are
considered low by many).  Each person will react differently to each one.
There are lots of conflicting references out there!

>4. Can they cause a reaction to rx drugs?

        I will research that one.
>5. Has any one tried this as an alternative to PD drugs?
>

>Also thanks to those who replied to my question on autism my friend is
>signed up on their exchange
>
>Thanks
>
>Jon Meyer 39/1 ([log in to unmask])

Hopes this helps a tiny bit.  Just stuff off the top of my head.  Hopefully
someone with much more expertise than I will jump in on this!
Kathy
friend of John 75/2
Kathy McQuade-Sedler
email [log in to unmask]