The Parkinsn Information Exchange Network is three years old today.  A
lot of things have happened since the beginning of our list...some good
... some not so good.

We have grown to 1423 members from 35 countries.

We have shared first-hand information, scientific information, humor,
poetry, and opinions, but most of all, support to each other.

We have had two 'spin-off' lists..the Caregivers list and the Shy-Drager
list.

We have shared, with our US members, the excitement and enthusiasm of
their efforts to get the Udall bill passed...and their sadness and anger
when it was postponed.

We have grieved together in our loss of Alan Bonandar.

We have admired Mohammed Ali for giving the world a 'snapshot' of
Parkinson's at the Olympics.

I have met some wonderful people..people I am proud to call 'friends'.
To name just one:  John Cottingham, who has spent hours of his time and
energy helping me and all of us.  Thank you, John.

When the opportunity arose to start this list, a dear friend of mine
encouraged me to do it.  Shortly after that, she wrote to me:  "It sounds
as though your idea of initiating a PD network was a way to meet a lot of
needs that hadn't been identified until the network started.  This could
become a self help group with an awful lot of knowledge and power, and it
may lead to some changes in research and treatment."  If she could only
see us now.

Happy Birthday to all of us and thank you for being there.

Barb

Barbara Patterson                               [log in to unmask]
HSC 2J22                                        905-525-9140, ext. 22403
                        School of Nursing