Dianne wrote:
> Meanwhile, yes, antioxidants are very important-we all need to build up our
> immune systems, esp helpful for those already suffering from diseases of the
> autoimmune system.

But let me remind the list that vitamin E, which is an antioxidant, can
potentially raise the risk for hemorrhagic stroke in people with certain
diagnoses or who use warfarin.

Also, beta-carotene, another antioxidant, may raise the risk for cancer
in smokers. Furthermore, the latest research suggests that the family of
carotenoids work in a synergistic fashion--that is, seemingly "inactive"
carotenoids support an "active" carotenoid such as beta-carotene. The
beta carotene may not be able to perform its function in isolation from
the rest of its family of carotenoids. Flooding the system with a single
carotenoid may well prevent absorption of the supporting carotenoids
which could allow it to do its work.

Minerals such as potassium and iron can be deadly in certain cases;
other nutrients in excess can damage the kidneys or other organs. PWP
are often using a variety of medications that affect the metabolism in
very specific ways. Use of supplements can certainly interfere with or
otherwise affect medication use. I most strongly recommend that no one
begin using vitamin or mineral supplements without first consulting a
physician or registered dietitian.

>  I've found an excellent source of products and have lots
> of info-if you're interested, feel free to e-mail me.  These herbs, etc. are
> helping lots of people with CFS, Lupus, M.S., Fibromyalgia, etc.   As for interactions with Rx
> meds, they're designed to work right along with them and in some cases, have
> allowed folks to cut down on their dosage of meds.

There are many possible combinations of diagnoses; there are PWP who
also have hypertension, hypotension, diabetes, congestive heart failure,
dysphagia, stroke, osteoporosis, and cancer, to name just a very few.
There is no supplement, anywhere, that is "designed" to work right along
with all the possible combinations of medications for individuals with
these varying diagnoses.

Please, let me repeat, do not begin any supplement regime without
professional consultation. The potential for adverse reactions ranges
from mild to deadly.

Best regards,
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,
"Spotlight on Food--nutrition news for people 60-plus"
Tel: 970-493-6532   Fax: 970-493-6538
http://www.fortnet.org/~fivstar
You may wish to contact:
Better Business Bureau of the Mountain States,
for further information.