On Thu, 14 Nov 1996 17:18:31 -0500
"Patrick J. Martin" wrote about:
L-Dopa/Amino Acid Timing and his recipe for a blended drink.

Patrick,

I am also on a 2 hour spacing of meds and have tried a commercial product
which has a 7:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein that is supposed to be the
ideal ratio with the minimum of conflict for the LNAA carriers. The product is
handy to use and does seem to smooth out the sudden "offs".

Your drink has the advantages of freshness and price control. While, the
canned, mail order product is vitamin enriched, one can certainly add vitamin
and mineral supplements to their diets. I will certainly try your recipe--a
few questions: do you have other meals during a 24 hour period? What and when?
Have you seen an improvement in your "on" times?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and recipe.

>I am on a 2 hour spacing for my LDopa and have been playing with my diet to
> fit the LDopa transport and the large neutral amino acids transport together
>with minimum conflict for the LNAA carriers in my bloodstream.
>I take my LDopa with a piece of candy and a bit of orange juice to trigger
>the dump of my stomach contents into the small intestine where the carriers
>are waiting.  15-20 minutes later I can feel the initial effects.
>I have found at least one acceptable diet that is reproducible in digestion
>time, protein content, viscosity, metabolism to amino acids, and dump time
> into my small intestine. I space my drink of this mix 10 minutes after my
>LDopa intake.  This timing seems to give me the right spacing for loading my
>LNAA carriers.
>The recipe:
>
>1/3 cup date nuggets -- extruded pellets of ground dates with some added
>dextrose
>2 cups water
>2 cups nonfat dried milk solids
>
>Waring blend this stuff until it sounds smooth
>Chill in a a one quart sipping bottle
>
>The mix is potable, retains a thick foamy consistency, and gives me:
>
>48 grams of my required 54 grams of protein
>70 grams of carbohydrates
>17grams of all of the essential amino acids
>2325mg potassium
>1680mg calcium
>720mg sodium
>6mg zinc
>
>The use of nonfat dried milk has taken fat digestion variations out of my
>equation; has given me casein as my major protein , with its valuable load of
>the essential amino acids; has given me a good load of potassium, calcium and
>sodium  electrolytes and has given me a potable drink.
>
>Comments on my blend or on  your experience might be of interest to the lot
> of
>us.
>
>God bless us all.
>
>Patrick J Martin 70,10 <[log in to unmask]>

Margaret Tuchman(54yrs,dx1980) --NEW JERSEY