(15 Nov 1996) Parkinson Gene- Comments
First the facts, gleaned from today's LA Times, p.1 (my copy of
Science hasn't arrived):
Research at or supported by the National Institute of Neurological
Diseases and Stroke (NINDS), reported by Roger Duvoisin and Matt
Kurtz, has confirmed that there is a genetic link to PD. They
studied DNA from 28 afflicted members of a large Italian family and
found that a mutant gene resides in a short region of Chromosome 4
of the subjects. They haven't identified it precisely but are sure
that is just a matter of time. The final successful search in other
hereditary diseases has taken from a few months to as long as 8
years.
Now, opinions:
When the errant gene is identified, there will be a huge rush by
patients for analysis to confirm their diagnosis, and to screen
their close relatives. I don't know anything about the actual
process of analysis (despite constant references to it in the O. J.
Simpson trial) but I assume it is tedious, complex, and costly.
I think PD is by far the most common of the diseases that can be
linked to a gene defect, so there will be major growth in the DNA
testing industry. There will be contentious disputes over relative
merits of different techniques, and competition between laboratories
for the business. PWP will be shopping for a test provider the way
they now shop for a neurologist or a therapy that suits their
preference. As for future therapy, I expect that knowing exactly
which gene is bad will permit various forms of gene transfer,
already under development, to come much closer to a cure for PD.
When you think about it, there aren't any other hereditary neural
diseases that are actually "curable". In any case, wonderful news!
Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road