Hi Udi...

I had a unilateral pallidotomy performed on October 24, 1994, by Dr. Gary
Heit, of Stanford University, assisted  by Dr. Robert Iacono of Loma Linda
University, at Loma Linda University Hospital.

The results of that surgery, performed upon the left side for the symptoms
affecting my right side were outstanding and immediate and continue to this
day unchanged whatsoever.

Included were benefits to my left (and primary) side which has just begun to
show a few tiny signs of PD at the time of the surgery.  My left side remained
symtpom-free until July of '96 when I was prescribed and took the drug
Tegretol for a pinched nerve (not PD-related).  Three days on the Tegretol
gave me the worst PD symptoms I'd EVER had, tho NOT on the right side which
had been treated by the pallidotomy.   It took almost 2 months to return to
NEARLY the pre-Tegretol state, and now there's a slow, but noticable
degeneration on the left side. (DAMMIT!)

Please give your Dad my best wishes for continued relief of the PD symptoms.
I also suggest that he try to relax, kick-back, and enjoy whatever benefits he
may have received from the surgery.  There's no way to second-guess the
results of the surgery OR the disease, and to permit himself upset will only
cause him to feel physically as well as emotionally bad.

By the way, the very best pre-surgical advice I had received was from Barb
Yacos (who at that time had had her unilateral pall. for one year).  When I
asked her how good did she feel AFTER the surgery, she commented that I should
always try to recall what I felt like BEFORE the surgery.

IF I have a bad day now, I have only to picture myself and the misery I went
thru prior to Oct. 24, 1994.  Nothing I've felt since (excepting the
drug-induced discomfort due to the Tegretol experience - and even THAT "only"
did it's number on the non-surgical side) has even been close to that for
sheer misery.

Barb Mallut,