Patrick J. Martin wrote:
> am one of the lucky  parkies with decent lactose tolerance so I have no problem
> with dairy products. Would dried nonfat buttermilk  relieve the lactose problem
> ?  Does the absence of fat help the lactose problem ?  I find the nonfat much
> more reproducible in digestive time.

To the best of my knowledge, buttermilk would still have substantial
lactose, requiring the enzyme lactase to digest it. The absence of fat
also would not affect lactose content. However, a nonfat product would
definitely exit the stomach faster.

Yogurt has less lactose than milk, because the bacteria used to make
yogurt contain enzymes that break down a great deal of the lactose.
People who have some lactose intolerance could try using nonfat yogurt
instead of the nonfat dry milk, to see if that made a difference. The
resulting drink would not have nearly as much calcium, but it would
still be a good product

The point I like best about this shake, apart from the excellent
nutrient profile, is that one could experiment with it, adjusting the
amounts of carbohydrate and protein to suit individual preferences.
Individual reactions to Sinemet vary widely, and this drink is simple to
make, and simple to experiment with.

For those who still have problems, the Hearty Balance drink in cans
could be a good alternative, likewise their dehydrated soup mix and
bars.

Thanks for passing this recipe on, Patrick, and hats off to you for
devising it!!

Best,
Kathrynne

--