Hi Mark......I hope by now your depression has lifted a little and you are
able to see a small light at the end of the tunnel.  When I was diagnosed at
the age of 37, in 1987, I felt exactly the same way.  I denied I had PD,
after all I didn't have a tremor so they must be wrong. Because of this I
decided not to tell my kids ( now aged 20, 18, 15) or anyone for that matter
and proceeded to live the secret for 2 years.  This was wrong of me, but I
did what I thought was right at the time.  I used to weep in the bathroom
every evening at 6.00pm, to release all the tensions that built up because I
could not talk about it.

Eventually I began to accept the diagnosis, went to a YAPP&Rs ( Young onset)
meeting - although I thought I wouldn't like it - and have never looked
back.  I turned my anger and depression to constuctive thinking, not
destructive, and now work virtually full time (as a volunteer) for the PDS
of the UK and YAPP&Rs.  It has helped me enormously, and although my family
would like to see more of me, they appreciate that by working hard for what
I believe in is my way of coping with what the disease throws at me.  I am
lucky in as much as my symptoms are not visual - I have no tremor or
dyskinesias - but that does little for winning sympathy votes from the kids
when the ironing pile is enormous and the house is like a tip.

My kids have never shown any resentment to having a Mother who is getting
slower and who cannot follow her son three day eventing.  I was bought a
small folding motor bike so I could go but the kids have nicked it!  If
anything they have become better people as they now realise what 'hidden'
handicaps are about and are marvellous with the YAPP&Rs who come to monthly
meetings at our house and are far worse off than I am.  Try and keep it in
perspective and live for today ( and maybe tomorrow) because there really
are worse things out there than PD.

with love to the family, and come  one day and visit us YAPP&Rs in the UK!

Emma