Majorie Moorfield:

Dear Majorie:
I also had allergies long before I had PD...they run in my family.  I never
had asthma until about 5 yrs. before I was diagnosed (but had symptoms).
 Now, everytime I have the slightest allergy trouble it automatically goes
into asthma, then bronchitis, and the only thing that works is cortisone,
which I once had a bad reaction to.  However, with the help of my allergist I
have discovered ways of dealing with this problem.     First, I would
strongly advise taking allergy shots, if you aren't already.  I have been
taking them for over 20 yrs., and had become lax about it, with no problems.
 But now I have to be sure I get them on time.  If I'm late, I invariably
will start the cycle of problems all over again. I discovered this the hard
way. They really help most people.
  Second,  Get a "breathing machine", a nebulizer, for use at home.  Your
doctor can order you one...they aren't that expensive;  my insurance paid all
but $15.00 for mine. (I think it was about $80.00). The minute you have
trouble with asthma use the machine.  It's much safer and better for you than
regular inhalers.
  Third, get plenty of rest and stay away from what you are allergic to.  (I
don't always follow my own advice & pay for it when I don't.)

I think the main reason for the increased asthma problem is that PD can cause
the chest muscles to tighten, thus making asthma even worse.  I've also
discovered that it's easy to panic when this happens . Knowing what is was
made it easier to relax.  That is important.  Another tip:  don't rest laying
flat on your back...try to prop up your upper body some.  It helps the
breathing.  Also, water therapy classes really helped me....they improve your
cardiovascular system and thus, help you breathe easier.  There are some new
steroid nasal inhalents out that don't cause the side effects of oral
steroids.  These can also help.  Sorry this is so long.
             Hope this helps,
             Rosemary Russell