My name is Elena and my recently diagnosed mother is coming to live with my
family and me.  She is actually my paternal grandmother who adopted me so I
switch between saying grandmother and mom.  She is 70 years old, Cuban, very
hard-working, and does not speak any English (after 40 years in the U.S.!).
She was diagnosed about 1 year ago and honestly, I don't know any details or
what I should expect.  I have been concerned because she doesn't always
understand what people are saying and because of her culture would not find
it proper to discuss certain things or even how to ask the "right"
questions.  Hopefully as soon as we get her settled here I can find out for
her and ask the "right" questions and orient her a little better.  In fact,
I have learned a great deal just by reading some of the messages on the
listserve.  She always complains about not being able to sleep and now it
seems this is pretty common, as well as other symptoms, etc. that I never
would have thought of.  It must be difficult figuring out what's med.
related and what's really PD.

What I really need to know is what to expect, and how should I best handle
her care and what happens with this disease. I have a friend's dad who has
the early onset of PD but I have heard it's very different.  Is this true?
She is very active and I can't imagine her being any other way!  Does she
just stop one day, or does she become slower, or what?  I'm asking this in a
very basic way because I really need some basic answers.  I have read books
and articles, but I want to know the everyday situations that I should
expect.  Also, does anyone know if it's possible for me to include her as a
dependent for insurance purposes?  Her expenses are not all being covered..I
don't know why...and would prefer she be on my insurance.  Any suggestions?
I live in Marietta, Georgia in case you have any specific info.
Thank you,
Elena Esquen