At 05:41 PM 18/11/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Physically active --recently quit tennis because falling. Took up horseback
>riding, keeping eye on the ground for balance, instead of on the tennis ball.
>
>ANY IDEAS? PLEASE!

To James Newman:  Sorry I'm not qualified to advise on bloating (I guess
others will advise you).

However, as a horserider (non-PD), I'd advise: DON'T keep eye on ground for
balance - sit up straight, and look ahead between horse's ears!    A motto I
heard years ago:
"Heels down, head up; hands down, heart up!"

Congratulations on taking up riding at age 80!! The next-oldest horse-rider
I know is a 75-year-old lady in Wales (had been riding much of her life,
bought her own horse when aged nearly 60) - had open-heart surgery 2 years
ago, and was back on her horse within a month!  It's never too late.

I find riding a wonderful therapy, both physically (especially for muscular
endurance, balance and coordination) and psychologically (openair activity,
feeling of freedom, communication with the horse).  Especially good for
people with walking limitations - I know it's used as therapy for
cerebral-palsy and other handicapped children, also for disabled people - I
saw a TV documentary about a young soldier paralysed from waist down from
war-injury, who resumed riding.

I took up riding again a couple of years ago, at age 51, after interval of
nearly 30 years. Slight arthritic stiffness in my hip-joints makes mounting
and dismounting a bit
painful - I can no longer vault on as I did in my teens! (one can use a
mounting-block); but once in the saddle I feel wonderful!

Any other horseriders want to comment?

Margaret Hayon (Haifa, Israel; CG for David 78/7)