        Dear Anne,
      Some where else in this edition of the listserv is a more
encompassing accounting of my second surgery.I will elaborate a bit on the
speech problem.I should mention that I had my 1st surgery done in Aug "95
and my 2nd in Sept "96 and that my speech problems predate the surgery.More
of a PD symptom
      I have a naturally soft voice ,softened even more by my years as a
clinical social worker. When working with families in a crisis or with
teenagers I found it best for me to talk with a soft voice.    Just
yesterday, one minute I'm chatting with a friend and my voice was fine,in
the next minute I
 was talking with a client and my voice dropped and it took the client
saying "What did you say ?" several times before I was aware of the shift,
It is so ingrained in me.
     SO, I figured  if anyone was going to have trouble with their speech
it would be me. I did three things, One, I got 2 names of patients operated
on by my Neurosurgeon. He by now has done some 90 pallidotomies including
10 or 11 second siders and he had data on 9 patients and 4 of them had
reported post surgery speech problems, none of whom he felt were serious
enough to require speech therapy.THis is not an arrogrant MD who brushes
aside concerns expressed by his patients but a frank, ethical and tell-it
-like-it-is man. Of course I wanted to speak with at least one of the 4 and
I did so. THE man was a 60+year old retired School teacher{I think} who had
little trouble talking with me. I could hear each word he spoke and he
reminded me that even if his speech troubles were worse the surgery had
made a substancial difference in his life .This was clearly echoed by the
other patient I spoke with who was a 70 year old woman who said the
operation was a success and the ".doctor had saved her life" Enough said.
      The second thing I did was to arrange for 3 presurgery Speech therapy
appointments and one follow-up. I found these to be of considerable help
     The third thing I did was to talk to every one I could and I read
every thing I could  find on speech problems and 2nd side pallidotomies and
I decided that the surgery was for me.One of the surgical Teams
Neurologists said to me during the 6 week follow that based on what she had
seen and on what I had told her that she would have to reconsider her view
on 2nd side pallidotomies which she gererally does not support.
     I consider my inarticulate words to be a pain but nothing I cant
overcome. IT"S more of a problem with slurring my words especially in the
evening when my defences are down, MY volumn will pick up with time. AS for
the other side effects from this surgery i'm only worried about the trouble
with being able to open my eyes.This is a new one to me and will take some
study.
     YOU may Wish, in a follow up posting, to mention at which hospital the
person you are speaking for will be having this surgery. Many hospitals
have "patient advocates" who will be your best friend.

        Please relay to the family that to be anxious is normal and a sign
of good mental health.I do wish them the best of surgeons and luck.

My very best
  george  {glussier@ultranet,com]
  From the BELOVED COMMONWEALTH of MASSACHUSETTS