>> Hi there,
>> First let me say a big THANK YOU to all of the people who participate in
the Parkies i
>> nformation list.   My mother, aged 70, is the member of the family with
PD, and I hook
>> ed on to the list with some apprehension.   But you all have surpassed
yourself.
>> I knew nothing about PD even after my mother gave us the news.  To be
totally honest I
>>  just assumed like most diseases there was either a cure or it would
eventually go awa
>> y.   So I was not unduly worried nor did I think I should find out more
about PD.   Ho
>> wever as the years pass and she gets progressively worse I thought I
should find out.
>>  So this list has been totally invaluable for all that type of info.
>> My only gripe is are there no Brits out there on this list.   All the
information rega
>> rding drugs and doctors refer to the States and Canada.  So I would
really like some i
>> nformation with regard to the UK.
>> Keep up the good work
>> Karen

Hi Karen,

Read your mail on the Parkinson group. As you are probably are aware by now,
there are SOME of us Brits around.  Naturally there are more United States
subscribers, they have a larger population and THEY started the Internet!
If you are new to the net, the way to recognize Brits is that their e-mail
address normally ends .uk.

After a while you get to know the difference between generic names used in
UK and USA for some of the drugs.  If you want to know something specific,
ie what is Permax, just send a question to the group with a subject
something like "PERMAX - info please?" and then ask your question.  People
on this list are very friendly and helpful and you will learn a great deal
by just reading mail flowing back and forth on various subjects. Some of
these subjects can be hotly debated at times but that is natural and you
still learn lots.  The group is a very good example of the good which can
come about from such a wonderful way to communicate.

You will soon notice the regular contributers amongst the Brits - people
like Brian Collins, Emma Bennion, David Langridge and Jeremy Browne.
(Apologies if anybody has been left out) They all have valuable information
to share and are very quick to help.  Even subscribers who do not send
e-mail to the group regularly respond rapidly and helpfully when asked.  For
example I recently asked about a neurologist I was about to consult and had
very helpful replies sent to me privately.

Don't be afraid to ask Karen, I learned more about PD on the group in "Days"
than I learned in the previous 3 years!  Best wishes to your mother and hope
the group will be of real help to both of you.

Ernie Peters ([log in to unmask])