Margaret H...

I've been a trail rider since I was about 5 years old when I used to ride with
my grandpa thru the mountainous areas surrounding Los Angeles as I was growing
up.  Of course, we rode horses decked out in western tack.

Both of my daughters were raised around horses as by then my ex and I had two
Arabian geldings.  The girls both rode and showed dressage, and Jamie, now 28,
was a supurb rider who also rode hunter-jumper.  She was trained by Hilda
Gurney, US bronze medalist in the '64 Olympics.

I've occasionally been able to go horseback riding since my Oct.'94,
pallidotomy, hampered not by the PD, but by the fact that I no longer know
anyone with a decent horse I can exercise for 'em and don't want to rent a
'plug" from the local stables (which aren't all that close to my home).

I miss trail riding more then ever for the very reasons you listed as giving
you pleasure in riding.  Plus, of course, the sheer joy of being on a horse
ambling thru the foothills.  I especially enjoyed early evening rides after
our our oh-so-hot Southern California summer days had cooled.  In fact I and
even liked cleaning up the "stuff"  'round the stalls and the turn out area,
then perching on the pipe corral oiling a bridle as the darkness deepened into
nite hearing Boo (Abu Too Much) and Venture muching on Hayter's mix and
alfalfa.

That was a very special time in my life.

Barb Mallut