From:   PARKINSN: Parkinson's Disease - Information Exchange Network on behalf
of Mary Rack
Sent:   Tuesday, November 19, 1996 9:31 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Bloating.  Beautiful.  Welcome to Elena--Mom a dependent?

Bloating:

James - I'd suspect the propulsid, based on problems my mother-in-law has had
with it and similar meds -- problems that didn't show up right away.

Beautiful:

Barb Mallut - Irving's note reminded me that I'd been meaning to thank you for
the many chuckles occasioned by your yam series!

Welcome:

Hi, Elena!  It's wonderful of you to be embarking on the care of your mom!
Have you looked for support groups in your area?   They are a good idea for
both of you.  And how about a neurologist?  If you've been reading this list
at all, you know how important it is to find the right one, preferably someone
who specializes in Parkinson's.  If you let the list folks know where you
live, you will probably get many helpful suggestions.  And keep an eye out for
instructions on joining the caregivers' list.

About adding your mom to your insurance:  I imagine you would have to check
with your provider about that.  Is she on Medicare?  Does she have any other
health insurance?  Medicare typically covers 80% of costs (sometimes after a
deductible), with some tricky little details.  Let me know if you need help
deciphering their paperwork.

Another question is whether you can claim your mom as a dependent for tax
purposes.  I am able to do so, and it has been very beneficial -- ask a tax
professional about this (my CPA suggested it for us).

About what to expect . . . it sure varies.  The fact that your mom is very
active is very encouraging.  Does she already live near you or is this a big
change for her?  If it's a big change, finding new ways to keep up her old
activities will be important.

Once again - welcome, and good luck!

Mary Rack
cg for Louise(75/5)