RE:     George M.Andes' great secret is revealed but an even greater
secret remains:Did Mr Andes know the truth when he gave us a
COMMONWEALTH count"

      Dear George,
        As one George to another you can tell me. Why  did you falsely
state the Number of Commonwealths in the USA. As you well know there are 5.
In addition to Mass and Penn there is Kentucky, Maryland and Virginia AND
if you wish to add Puerto Rico the count rises to 7 because in all fairness
we would have to include the Northern Mariana Islands which as you well
know George is ,as Puerto Rico is, a self- governing,autonomous political
unit voluntarily associated with the USA.

So George what are you up to ?

And you will have to figure where the Northern Marianna Islands are on your
own. I'm not telling.

     My Very Best
        george  [log in to unmask]]
   From the very humble COMMONWEALTH of MASSACHUSETTS

>From George A.to George L:

Of the counting of Commonwealths there is no end.  MA, PA, VA, & KY are
Commonwealths, but I think not MD. The Prefaces to the Constitutions of MA, PA,
& KY begin:  "We, the people of the Commonwealth of ... ".   VA has no Preface
to its Constitution, but unmistakably calls itself a Commonwealth.  The Preface
to the MD Constitution begins "We, the people of the State of Maryland, ...".
The MD Constitution nowhere refers to the state as a Commonwealth, but
interestingly it does expressly refer to English Common Law as the basis for its
own common law. I think it is the only state to do so.

About the Northern Mariannas, you are absolutely right.  I didn't forget, or
anything of the sort.  I didn't know.  Thank you, you have increased my store of
trivia, and I am grateful.

How about states which were independent republics before joining the Union?
I think there were three:  VT, TX, & CA.  Were there more?

Yours in pursuit of the things every young boy should know,

George