At 01:52 PM 11/20/96 -0500, you wrote:
>RE: Two press releases posted in Wednesday's digest.
>
>Did I read these right? .... In fact, it sounds as if it
>might offer hope for more immediate application than the 10-15 years quoted
>by one of the doctors connected with the hereditary study.

Neurological disorders aren't exactly breaking out in epidemic proportions. Parkinson's folks are quiet laid back sorts so it is entirely likely that it will take 10 to 12 years. Our cures rank right up there with curing hangnail.

Vociferous folks with a higher dead body count as a result of the illness always go to the head of the line.

A lot of folks envy the professionals who are dedicated to the Parkinson's cause. We do have parkinsonologists and some of the best research centers. With the possibilities for research we have in the works now, some of the neuro-regenerative protocols seem to be working. They could be available in 5 years. One of them is GM1 gangliosides that is moving into Phase II clinical trials at six centers. For those not squeamish of the needle, get signed up.

Likewise, Phase II of the GDNF trials will start soon and the fetal and xenotransplant trials will be available.  You can have a role in developing and testing of the new stuff and perhaps have your 'cure' first.

An article is available in the archives that explains the process a new compound takes from the test tube to the pharmacy. To receive that article follow the directions below:

Send a message to:

On the Subject Line put:

CT:010 Drugs: From Compound to Pharmacy

Nothing is required in the body of the message.

[log in to unmask]      That man may last, but never lives,
                        Who much receives, but nothing gives;
HomeBoy                     Whom none can love, whom none can thank,--
                               Creation's blot, creation's blank.
John Cottingham           Thomas Gibbons (1720-1785): When Jesus dwelt.