#Parkinsons On The Undernet.

The undernet is a crazy place. Currently, it has more channels
(rooms) than can be easily displayed. It is world wide in it's
scope and yet at times is intensely personal.
The topics of conversation range from serious to whimsical.

#Parkinsons was created a little over a year ago as an exercise
in learning how to use the net. At first, it was one person,
talking to an infrequent visitor. The visitors were usually
the curious, sometimes they were less friendly. Finally,
there came a person who returned for a second visit, and a
small miracle was born. Strangers became friends. People
came in with questions and left with answers and hope.
A short time ago, #Parkinsons grew strong enough to become
a registered IRC channel with over thirty people who share a common
(and some not so common) interests.

What do you need to get there, and how do you do it?
First, you need access to the internet.
(I know this sounds silly, but you would be surprised.)
The internet access needs to allow you to access more than just
web browsing and email. Most Independent Service Providers
provide this type of access.

Next, you need a reasonably fast computer. A 386 or better is
recommended. I have not tried it with a 286, but if that's
what you've got, go fer it.
A fast modem also helps. I started with a 2400 baud modem. It's
workable but you may get left behind and become frustrated.

Software. Now we get to the heart of the matter. Most software
available for IRC is shareware, or freeware. The best known
programs are MIRC for IBM and compatibles and IRCLE for the MAC.
A relatively new program is PIRCH for IBM and compatibles.
All of these programs are available on the Web (WWW).

You also need a list of IRC servers. Most of the IRC programs
come with a list of servers ready for use.

The last thing you need is patience. Getting "connected" is rather
easy, but a lot of people give up after one or two failed attempts.
Then too, once you get the software installed and running,
you may ask "where is everyone?". IRC is very much like using
a two way radio or mobile phone. If you dial the wrong number,
try at the wrong time, or don't know where the people are, you
can spend a lot of time by your self.

#parkinsons is a 24 hour channel. That does not mean there is always
someone there. The best times are from 6:00 P.M. Central Standard time
(United States) to 10:00 P.M. CST, U.S. Of course, there may be other
"best times". Half of the world is awake while the other half is sleeping.

#Parkinsons is not the exclusive "property" of any one person,
although it is registered under the name "WerBeagle".
If you want to start a "best time" in your time zone, have
fun. Be aware, however, that WerBeagle will probably be notified
by the Channel Service of any abuse of the channel.

The name.
#parkinsons. Not $parkinsons, or @parkinsons, or #parkysons,
or #parkiesons, or #parkasons, or #parkandsons, or #parksons,
or #parkison, or #parkinson's, or #parkies, or even parkinsons.
All but three of the above names will get you a channel.
But only #parkinsons will get you to a place where they don't
care how slow you type, how inventive you are at spelling, or
how long you take to respond. *chuckle* And yes, in one case the
police were sent to the person's home. A new visitor honestly
thought the person was in need of help. (What are sister's for anyway?)

That's what you need. How do you do it?
This topic has been covered by people far more capable than I am.
So in the interest of space, and so I don't get tons of email
about wasting list space, here are some web sites you can visit.
This is by no means a complete list of sites.  Have fun.

This site talks about accessing IRC from AOL, but they
did a great job of step 1, 2, 3...you're there for IRC in general
and MIRC specifically. Try this site first.
http://www.mindspring.com/~mcgatney/irc.html

IRC for the MAC.
This is a source for the MAC software.
http://www.mid.net/INFO-MAC/PM-1995/95-09/Info-Mac_Digest_V13_97/0029.html

Some other sites I've found....

MIRC IRC Client (software)
http://www.ctfire.com/

Pirch IRC Client (Software)
http://www.bcpl.lib.md.us/~frappa/pirch.html

IRC: What is it and how do you get there?
http://kragar.kei.com/irc.html
http://www.netsurf.org/~violet/jwz/irc-faq.html
http://www.singnet.com.sg/public/IRC/ircclient.html