I'm been lurking here for a while, getting some very helpful information
for my mother (73/10) and now I'm hoping that I can get some help with
a specific problem related to tears and depression.

Almost each afternoon my mother begins crying, sometimes heavily; almost
always without a stimuli.  One geriactic psych doctor thought it might be
an outlet to relieve stress; anxiety; energy, etc.

She doesn't usually have a reason for crying and her pd doctor said the
family should not interpret it as tears normally would be; (I should add
that her cognitive skills tend to range from good to poor).

Has anyone else encountered this and does anyone know a way to alleviate
it?  I've found that she can sometimes be distracted away from it with
drawing, our ad hoc version of scrabble and sometime going for a drive,
but whenever she is idle she'll begin again.

Thanks for all the helpful information over the last months.

Timm