At 11:54 AM 11/12/96 -0500, Sid Gudes wrote:
>After following this list for a while I am impressed with how many people
>with PD participate.  My father-in-law was diagnosed with PD three years
>ago.  He couldn't possibly participate because he is so mentally confused
>95% of the time he can't have a conversation.  I suspect the confusion is a
>reaction to the medication rather than PD.  (Sinemet, Parlodel, Amantadine)
>Does anyone have comments about the confusion?  His neuro asked my
>mother-in-law if she preferred him confused or able to get to the bathroom.
>Since she is not phisically strong she said she needs him to be able to get
>around physically. She is very discouraged since she now believes she has to
>choose whether to have a mate with a functioning mind or one that can help
>her get him out of bed. I keep thinking there's something wrong with this
>picture. The many who participate in this group are doing fine in the mind
>department. Comments? Observations? Suggestions?
>

>Lynne Gudes
>"Common sense isn't."

Our Support organization, The Dallas Area Parkinsonism Society,  provides the
members with free Physical Therapy exercise programs. These are wonderful . They
are simple exercises that can be done sitting on a chair, or standing behind it.
A licensed PE instruction professional leads the sessions.
While taking part in these exercises it struck me that so many participants are
confused about simple directions. Left and right are easily confused and it gets
worse when more than one limb is involved.
The exercises are self-paced and each individual person can do, or not, what he
or she wants.
Still, I can see the confusion in some faces that arises  when they see conflict
between what is instructed and what they see the others doing .
This might be an example of the confusion that Lynne Gudes is referring to.

Will A. Kuipers           ( 75 / dx '91 )
INTERNET:[log in to unmask]