Joco Paulo Penna de Carvalho wrote:

> To all,
>
> What exactly is DHEA and what is the state of knowloge about it ?
> Cheers,
>                Joao Paulo(John Paul) Carvalho

Joao,

DHEA(dehydroepiandrosterone) is a natural hormone the adrenal glands
produce which declines with aging.  It is touted as an anti-aging pill,
but that is probably an exaggeration. Studies with rodents found it
beneficial for treating heart disease, cancer, diabetes, lupus, etc.  So
then it was studied in humans most recently.  For more info try the book,
DHEA:The Practical Guide by Ray Sahelian, MD.  I found it a Barnes and
Noble for $9.95 in the health section.
There are many mail order sites to purchase DHEA, but I don't know about
quality.  Longs Drugs here in Honolulu has it now.  I get mine by
prescription from a pharmacy that compounds it in TX.  I think it is
worth a try for anyone.  It evidently makes platelets less sticky
preventing heart disease.  It seems to act as a natural steroid for
persons with autoimmune disorders.  Hope this helps.

Gail Post, R.N., M.S.
Honolulu, HI